Association of the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education
- Association of the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education
The home page has a large amount of information and dozens of links to additional pages.
- AASHE Mission, Vision and Goals
- Our Mission
- Our Vision
- Our Goals(Adopted June 4, 2011 as Goals for 2015)
1. Deliver services that increase its value to a growing and diverse membership and will increase its impact on sustainability in higher education;
2. Convene experts and collect, evaluate, and disseminate information and tools to increase the understanding of sustainability and its relevance to higher education stakeholders;
3. Support and enable higher education to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and to adapt to the impacts of global climate disruption;
4. Lead the transformation of educational practices (including the curriculum) to ensure that all students acquire the knowledge, skills, and dispositions to meet sustainability challenges;
5. Lead the assessment and reporting of metrics of sustainably in higher education for the purpose of driving improvements in sustainable practices and education through its Sustainability Tracking, Assessment & Rating System (STARS).
*AASHE defines sustainability in an inclusive way, encompassing human and ecological health, social justice, secure livelihoods, and a better world for all generations.
- Resources for Campus Sustainability Officers
[edited for brevity]
Welcome! The new career field of campus sustainability officer (encompassing coordinators, managers, directors, and chief sustainability officers) is growing by leaps and bounds, and it is often hard to keep up. If you are a campus sustainability officer, or if your institution is considering creating such a position, the resources below are designed to assist you.
- Find What You Need
AASHE Case Studies database
AASHE Bulletin database
Building the Green Economy
Product & Service Directory of AASHE Business Members
Building the Profession
Example job descriptions
AASHE surveys of staffing, salaries, and positions
Creating an Environmental Coordinator Position: A Portfolio of Case Studies (pdf) (2000)
Campus Sustainability Practitioners: Challenges for a New Profession (pdf) (2005)
A Practical Guide to Hiring a Sustainability Professional for Universities and Colleges (pdf) (2006)
The Sustainability Professional: 2010 Competency Survey Report (pdf) (2010)
STARS Technical Manual (comprehensive guide to campus sustainability planning)
- Professional Development Opportunities
Sustainability Officers Workshop
Sustainability Officers Retreat
- Connect & Discuss
AASHE’s Facebook page
Twitter (hashtag: #AASHEnews)
Directory of Campus Sustainability Officers - find a colleague
- Stay Informed! Subscribe to our e-newsletters
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any suggestions, additions or updates.